- Bodyweight Circuit
- Resistance Band Circuit
- Kettlebell Circuit
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) Circuit
- Functional Fitness Circuit
- Tips for Circuit Training Success
- Circuit Training Apps and Resources
Circuit training, a workout routine so effective it could give Superman a run for his money! All jokes aside, this workout technique involves performing a series of exercises back-to-back with little to no rest in between. The numerous benefits include improved cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance, and fat loss. It’s time to break a sweat and get fit with these 5 best circuit training workouts that’ll leave you feeling like a fitness superhero. Plus, we’ll throw in some useful tips to help you maximize your results.
No gym? No problem! Let’s kick off our fitness journey with bodyweight exercises that require nothing but, you guessed it, your body! These exercises help build strength, flexibility, and balance without any fancy equipment.
Sample Bodyweight Circuit Workout:
- Push-ups (10 reps) – Keep your core tight and maintain a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Squats (15 reps) – Make sure to sit back into the squat and keep your chest lifted.
- Plank (30 seconds) – Engage your core and avoid letting your hips sag.
- Lunges (10 reps each leg) – Keep your knees aligned with your toes and focus on maintaining balance.
- Mountain climbers (30 seconds) – Maintain a strong plank position and keep your hips low as you drive your knees up.
Perform 3-4 rounds of this circuit with 30-60 seconds of rest in between. Trust us, you’ll feel the burn!
Resistance Band Circuit
Stretch your limits with resistance bands, the versatile workout buddy that’s always ready to help you tone up. These bands not only offer variable resistance, but they’re also perfect for adding some extra “oomph” to your workouts.
Sample Resistance Band Circuit Workout:
- Banded squats (15 reps) – Place the band around your thighs and maintain tension throughout the squat.
- Banded rows (12 reps) – Wrap the band around a sturdy post or your feet and focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Banded glute bridges (15 reps) – Keep the band around your thighs and press through your heels as you lift your hips.
- Banded bicep curls (12 reps) – Stand on the band with your feet hip-width apart and curl with control.
- Banded lateral walks (10 reps each side) – Keep the band around your thighs and maintain a slight squat while stepping side to side.
Complete 3-4 rounds of this circuit with 30-60 seconds of rest in between. Resistance is futile! (Or is it?)
Ready to swing into action? Kettlebells are an excellent training tool, offering unique benefits that make them a must-have in any workout routine. These cannonball-shaped weights can help you develop strength, power, and balance.
Sample Kettlebell Circuit Workout:
- Kettlebell swings (15 reps) – Use your hips to generate power and maintain a neutral spine.
- Goblet squats (12 reps) – Hold the kettlebell close to your chest and squat with control.
- Single-arm kettlebell rows (10 reps each side) – Keep your back flat and engage your core as you row.
- Kettlebell deadlifts (12 reps) – Focus on hinging at the hips and maintaining a neutral spine throughout the movement. 5. Russian twists (15 reps each side) – Keep your feet elevated and twist from side to side, tapping the kettlebell on the floor.
- Russian twists (15 reps each side) – Keep your feet elevated and twist from side to side, tapping the kettlebell on the floor.
Complete 3-4 rounds of this circuit with 30-60 seconds of rest in between. You’ll soon be kettlebellin’ like a pro!
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) Circuit
Short on time but still want to get your heart racing? HIIT circuits are your ticket to fitness town. These high-intensity workouts consist of short bursts of intense exercise followed by brief rest periods.
Sample HIIT Circuit Workout:
- Burpees (30 seconds) – Keep your core engaged and land softly on your feet to protect your joints.
- Rest (15 seconds)
- Jump squats (30 seconds) – Power up through your legs and focus on landing with control.
- Rest (15 seconds)
- High knees (30 seconds) – Drive your knees up while maintaining good posture and core engagement.
- Rest (15 seconds)
- Plank jacks (30 seconds) – Keep your body in a straight line while jumping your feet in and out.
- Rest (15 seconds)
Repeat this circuit 3-4 times for a quick, efficient, and super sweaty workout. You’ll be a HIIT-hit sensation!
Functional Fitness Circuit
For those seeking practical strength for everyday tasks, functional fitness circuits are the way to go. These workouts focus on movements that mimic real-world actions, making your daily chores feel like a breeze. Functional fitness also helps improve overall body coordination, mobility, and stability.
Sample Functional Fitness Circuit Workout:
- Box jumps (10 reps) – Choose a box height that challenges you while ensuring a safe landing.
- Medicine ball slams (12 reps) – Generate power from your core and slam the ball down with force.
- Farmer’s walks (40 seconds) – Hold a pair of heavy dumbbells or kettlebells and walk with a strong, upright posture.
- Battle ropes (30 seconds) – Choose a rope weight that allows you to maintain intensity and focus on full range of motion.
- Tire flips (10 reps) – Use your legs to drive the tire up and maintain a tight core throughout the movement.
Complete 3-4 rounds of this circuit with 30-60 seconds of rest in between. Say hello to a stronger, more efficient you!
Tips for Circuit Training Success
- Warm-up and cool-down: The importance of warming up before starting a circuit and cooling down afterward to prevent injuries and promote recovery cannot be overstated. Make sure to take the extra time to do things things before and after your circuit training workout!
- Progression: Remember that you should always feel at least moderately challenged during these workouts? Not feeling the burn? Increase the weight. Increase the reps. Add supersets from one of the other circuit training plans. Do whatever you can to keep that heart rate elevated, yo!
- Time management: These plans are organized so you can easily fit these into a regular person’s busy daily agenda. Are you the CEO of a Fortune 500 company? If not, you can probably find the time to manage to get these workouts in. Dedicate a certain time to carve out during the day so you can keep your discipline and motivation!
- Rest and recovery: Remember: rest days and proper nutrition are 100% necessary to recovery as well as your overall well-being. The rest will help ensure you don’t overtrain and injure yourself, which would mean even more time not working out which is the OPPOSITE of what you need to be doing!
- Nutrition and hydration: Drink enough water to stay hydrated during your workouts. If you start to see stars or feel yourself losing consciousness, let’s just say that you are underprepared. An alternative to water could be a Gatorade or similar electrolyte beverages. Plus they taste better. Get the Zero Sugar variety to reduce unwanted calories.
Circuit Training Apps and Resources
In this bonus section, we’re introducing you to some popular circuit training apps and resources that can help you plan and track your workouts. With these handy tools, you’ll be well-equipped to conquer your fitness goals.
- Mobile Apps:
- Nike Training Club – This app offers a variety of circuit training workouts designed by experts, with options for all fitness levels.
- 7 Minute Workout – For those short on time, this app provides quick and effective circuit workouts that can be completed in just 7 minutes.
- Tabata Timer – Perfect for HIIT enthusiasts, this app offers customizable timers to help you stay on track during your high-intensity workouts.
- Online Platforms:
- Fitness Blender – This website and YouTube channel offers hundreds of free workout videos, including a wide range of circuit training routines for various fitness levels.
- HASfit – Another popular YouTube channel, HASfit provides a variety of circuit workouts, as well as helpful tips and advice for maximizing your training sessions.
- Fitness Trackers:
- Fitbit – Fitbit devices can monitor your heart rate, calories burned, and other workout data to help you track your circuit training progress. Check out our article on the Top 5 Best Fitbit Watches for 2023.
- Apple Watch – The Apple Watch offers a comprehensive suite of fitness tracking features, including workout-specific modes for circuit training and HIIT.
- Books and guides:
- “The Men’s Health Big Book of 15-Minute Workouts” by Selene Yeager – This book offers a variety of quick and effective circuit workouts that can be completed in just 15 minutes.
- “The Women’s Health Big Book of Exercises” by Adam Campbell – Packed with over 600 exercises, this book provides an extensive collection of circuit training options for women of all fitness levels.
- “HIIT: High-Intensity Interval Training for Fast, Efficient Workouts” by James Driver – A comprehensive guide on high-intensity interval training, including sample circuit workouts and tips for success.
With these apps, online platforms, fitness trackers, and books at your disposal, you’ll have all the resources you need to create effective and enjoyable circuit training routines. So, get ready to embark on a rewarding fitness journey and watch your progress soar to new heights!
There you have it, folks! The 5 best circuit training workouts to take your fitness game to the next level. Remember, variety is the spice of life, so don’t be afraid to mix and match these circuits to create your own superhero workout. The benefits of circuit training are undeniable, so get ready to feel stronger, faster, and more powerful than ever before.
Now, it’s your turn to unleash your inner fitness warrior. Don’t forget to share your favorite circuit workouts in the comments section below. We’d love to hear about your fitness adventures, and who knows, maybe you’ll inspire someone else to join the circuit training revolution! And remember, as with any workout, consistency is key. Stick with it, and you’ll be well on your way to achieving your fitness goals. Happy circuit training!